Foot Care Program
The foot care program is available to eligible Erie Shores Family Health Team patients. Foot care at the Erie Shores Family Health Team is provided by a Chiropodist, who is a provider specializing in the assessment and treatment of lower limb disorders. The chiropodist can prescribe medications, assess and treat foot and ankle problems, perform soft tissue surgery, prescribe custom orthotics and orthopedic shoes.
The Chiropodist provides foot care to patients with chronic conditions such as diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and peripheral vascular disease. As well, the chiropodist provides education on ways to achieve and maintain healthy feet and treats and prevents diseases and disorders of the feet.
Erie Shores Family Health Team physicians and nurse practitioners refer patients to the foot care program.
What can patients expect from the Foot Care Program
The chiropodist assesses and treats the following conditions of the lower limbs:
- Wound care and dressing change
- Pathological toenail care
- Corn/callus/wart removal
- Fungal infection treatment
- Preventative care for diabetic patients
- Diabetic ulcers
- Treatment for a variety of dermatological conditions
- Orthotics assessment, casting and fitting
- Prescriptions for certain medications, such as topical antibiotics, antifungals and corticosteroids
- Attend foot care appointment on time.
- Call to cancel your appointment if you are unable to attend.
- Follow the information and advice provided on ways to care for your feet and lower limbs.